Scrap metal recycling in Florida can be a profitable business, if you know how to do it right. It is one of the biggest sectors of the recycling industry, literally turning trash into treasure. Scrap metal buyers in Florida, like Berman Bros., offer competitive pricing on aluminum per pound in Jacksonville, as well as copper scrap and other scrap metals. More than just a hobby, smart scrappers have the ability to make good money scrapping full-time.
Why get into scrap recycling?
Scrap metal is one of the most easily repurposed and reused materials we have. Scrap metal recycling in Jacksonville provides a huge benefit to the environment and the economy. Environmentally, recycling one ton of steel conserves roughly 2,500 pounds of iron ore, 1,400 pounds of coal, and 120 pounds of limestone. Utilizing metal recycling centers also help conserve resources. It takes less energy and water to turn scrap metal into a new product than it does to harvest new resources. Recycling scrap metal keeps these discarded materials out of Florida landfills, of which 56 of the 75 are already completely full. From an economic outlook, the U.S. exports many recycled scrap materials, so metal recycling supports the national economy. It has created more than 450,000 jobs, and added billions to state governments through tax revenue.
How is scrap metal priced?
Scrap metals are priced per pound in Jacksonville. It can be useful to know which scrap metals are worth the most money so you can maximize your efforts. Berman Bros. offers public recycling pricing, as well as industrial or volume pricing, so please contact us for a volume scrap metal pricing quote. We also certify our scales four times as often as the industry standard, ensuring you get the most accurate price per pound for your scrap metal. For a full list of current pricing, visit bermanbros.com/scrap-recycling.
Where can I find scrap metal to sell?
There are two main categories of metal in the recycling industry: ferrous and non-ferrous. While Berman Bros. specializes in ferrous metals, we also purchase aluminum, brass, copper, iron, lead, nickel alloys, stainless steel and other scrap metals at the best price.
Below are some common sources and places to find scrap metals:
- Aluminum cans
- Construction sites
- Copper cables
- Electronic devices
- HVAC and heaters
- Lighting fixtures
- Medical devices (walkers, wheelchairs)
- Musical instruments
- Obsolete machinery
- Plumbing materials
- Repair shop scraps
- Shooting ranges (bullet casings)
- Steel shelving/display units
- Unused bicycles
Top tips for scrap recycling
- For metal recycling in Jacksonville, area residents can drop off recyclable materials at the Berman Bros. recycling facility at 2500 Evergreen Avenue. For large loads, drop-off and pick-up of industrial, roll-off containers is available.
- Make sure you have permission to collect metal from properties, buildings and demolition sites that don’t belong to you. If you don’t, you could be prosecuted for trespassing and theft. Florida law requires proof of ownership when dropping off certain items. For a list of restricted or unacceptable items, visit bermanbros.com/scrap-recycling.
- Always carry a magnet with you. If it is drawn to the metal, it is likely ferrous, and among the highest dollar value per pound in Jacksonville.